How to set up "scan to folder" on Server 2008 R2 without using Filezilla or licensed FTP client?
I am contracting at a small business and they have a new file and print server running Windows Server 2008 R2 standard. They want employees to be able to scan to shared folders created on this server. Previously they have experimented with doing this through the Filezilla FTP client which works fine. However, as this is not free for non personal use they have asked me to look for another solution. I have heard that in 2008 it might be possible to do this simply without using an FTP or file management client at all? Can anyone point me in the right directions regards setting this up? If this is not straight-forward to do, are there alternative free / open source software options that are straight forward to use for this purpose? Thanks.
September 5th, 2011 7:08pm

I am contracting at a small business and they have a new file and print server running Windows Server 2008 R2 standard. They want employees to be able to scan to shared folders created on this server. Previously they have experimented with doing this through the Filezilla FTP client which works fine. However, as this is not free for non personal use they have asked me to look for another solution. I have heard that in 2008 it might be possible to do this simply without using an FTP or file management client at all? Can anyone point me in the right directions regards setting this up? If this is not straight-forward to do, are there alternative free / open source software options that are straight forward to use for this purpose? Thanks. Maybe I'm missing something here, but... why don't you just use folder redirection (see here) ? That way your users will have their own "scan folder" which will reside on the server so all the scans will be stored there while they'll still be available to each user
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2011 7:25pm

Hi, I'd like to confirm the accurate goal. Only to upload and download folders? If so, I’d like to suggest to create a share folder on the server and grant users read and write permission. Of cause, only read permission the user cannot modify the files. Hope this helps!
September 6th, 2011 10:40am

It's my understanding that on the photocopier a virtual 'button' is created that is associated with a security group. The photocopier scans the document, and it is placed on a shared drive to which the associated security group has permissions. Apparently Filezilla was trialled because FTP or SMB is needed to transfer the data from the photocopier itself to the shared drive (hence that is why a shared folder or redirected folders is not enough be itself). SMB was not used as the users was need individual credentials, and there is not enough space on the photocopier address book to have a button for everyone. Thanks
September 6th, 2011 6:19pm

I have seen Konika's and Toshiba business level copiers have the ability to scan and save to network share before (\\myserver\incomingscans\), all dependant on the model machine and the modules you have installed on the copier. You perhaps need to take it up to with the copier service company. No need for FTP or Samba mess.:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
September 6th, 2011 9:09pm

Unfortunately the copier service company has said it is our problem :-(
September 12th, 2011 6:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics